- 2-3 pounds stew meat (or a 3-pound chuck roast, cubed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups beef broth or stock
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 6-7 tablespoons apple juice or water
- 4-8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup regular sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Place the stew meat, salt, pepper and onion in the slow cooker. Stir to distribute the seasonings and onion. In a small bowl, combine the garlic salt, Worcestershrie sauce, beef broth and ketchup. Pour over the meat.
- Cook for 7-9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
- About 30 minutes before serving, combine the flour and apple juice in a small bowl, whisking vigorously to combine well. The roux should be thick but still pourable so add a tablespoon of apple juice or water at a time to thin, if needed. Pour the flour mixture into the slow cooker, whisking quickly to mix in the roux with the stew meat and juices and to avoid lumps. Add the mushrooms and stir.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes. Stir in ½ cup sour cream right before serving. Serve over egg noodles, pasta, rice or baked potatoes.