Friday, July 11, 2014

Black Bean Mango Quinoa Salad

This comes from a blog called Kim's Healthy Eats. I did not use jalapeno, which the original recipe called for. I made this so that I'd have some black beans to eat to help with my 3rd trimester charley horses (black beans actually have more potassium per serving than a banana). It turned out really well! I used frozen mango that I had thawed (it thaws super well and doesn't get mushy like most frozen fruits) because that's what I had on hand. I'd maybe add a bit more mango next time though, because I like the sweet addition to the mix. It also makes a lot, so be prepared to share!

Ingredients
  • 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 mango, diced
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. In a medium saucepan bring water and quinoa to a boil over high heat.
  2. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 18-20 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, mix quinoa, mango, onion, red pepper, and black beans.
  4. In a small bowl or a jar with a lid, mix olive oil, vinegar, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
  5. Mix well with a whisk or shake jar well.
  6. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and stir well. 
  7. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment