Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pulled Pork (Slow Cooker)

This recipe comes from 100 Days of Real Food and was a nice surprise. It was yummy and flavorful without being soaked in BBQ sauce or the like. I like that because then I have more diversity for the leftovers. I can make pork BBQ sandwiches, but that's not my only option. Also, it's easy to freeze shredded pork for later use. I used a bone-in "picnic" pork shoulder so I didn't cut it in half like the original recipe suggests. I also didn't use any cayenne.

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme
  • ½ cup honey
  • ¼ cup red wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
  • 3 to 3 ½ pounds pork shoulder

Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, mix together all of the spices with a fork.
  2. Pour in the honey, vinegar, and oil and stir until well mixed.
  3. Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.
  4. Place pork on top of onion and then pour the honey mixture over all of the pork. It will drip to the bottom.
  5. Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 7 to 8 hours or until the meat is tender enough to be shredded with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment